[CM] CM for live performance

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:05:58 -0500

> It seems that currently the best application of Lisp for real-time
> performance would be as a frontend to another sound server (Pd or
> SuperCollider, etc.) via OSC or similar interface. The Pd qlist plugin
> offers one such interesting opportunity.

I believe that Todd Ingalls has developed just this (a realtime
connection to SC via OSC) but I really cant comment more on it since I
havent seen it yet. Needless to say it would be a wonderful
improvement.

>>> Does CM lend itself to live performance?

At this point it depends on the lisp/os environment.  Realtime MIDI
works pretty well in OpenMCL/OSX and includes callback support for
receiving midi without polling.   I originally ported CM to scheme with
the idea that a scheme binding would allow one to work with CM from
other (real time) environments.  I dont know if anyone is attempting to
do this or not. I am in the middle of porting CM to Gauche, Stklos and
(possibly) Chicken.

>>>  Is it easy to build up GUIs for
>>> interaction/control?

Its certainly not as easy as putting boxes on a max patch window, but
it is possible if you can deal with GTK.  Both Gauche and Stklos have
GTK support, so this will (hopefully) be possible soon in a scheme
environment as well

-rick