[CM] Re: real-time common music

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:10:36 +0200 (CEST)

Rodrigo Segnini <rsegnini@ccrma.Stanf

> Hi list.
>
> Before embarking in installation and improvisation, I would like to know
> if anyone has programmed in Common Music something like a 'realtime sound
> generator'. My requirements are simple: varying dynamically the parameters
> of a sound making algorithm given incoming discrete and continuous osc
> control messages.
>
> I plan to do this in Linux using soundfont synths.
>
> Are there any examples? Is that possible at all?

You can compile snd as a pd external, and use common music running in
guile inside the "snd" external to manipulate midi messages.

Unfortunately, because of guiles garbage collector, the timing is not
perfect. This may not be noticable at all though, and especially not if
you're using guile >=1.8.0. It depends on what you're doing.

A workaround for the garbage collector problem is to convert the midi
messages to signals before sending to the snd external, but then you can
only use a very limited version of scheme and not much of common music is
supported. An approach could be, in case the garbage collector delays is
a problem, is to first work with messages, and later convert the program
to threat signals when things are working.