[CM] snd-gtk-alsa "alsa_audio_open: could not set rate to exactly 44100, set to 3200 instead"

Sebastian Tennant sebyte@smolny.plus.com
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:49:28 +0000

Hi all,

I have a wav file with the following header:

  $ file ia.wav
  ia.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

I launch snd with the command:

  $ SNDLIB_ALSA_DEVICE="hw:1,0" snd &

beacuse I want snd to use my external USB audio I/O device.  (This
device is configured as the default pcm device in my ~/.asoundrc but
snd seems to ignore this unless I specify the device on the command
line).

However, playback is slow, and I get the following message in the
listener:

  "alsa_audio_open: hw:1,0: could not set rate to exactly 44100, set to 32000 instead"

Playback is at the correct speed if I don't specify the alsa device on
the command line and audio is routed through my PC's internal
soundcard.

The external USB I/O device is an Edirol UA-3FX and it most definitely
supports 44100, so does anyone have any idea what the problem might
be?

My ~/.asoundrc reads as follows:

  # set Edirol UA-3FX as default hardware device for all alsa aware applications
  pcm.!default{ type hw card 1 device 0 }
  ctl.!default { type hw card 1 device 0 }

  # for OSS apps (e.g., $ aoss realplay)
  pcm.dsp0 { type plug slave.pcm "hw:1,0" }

TIA

sdt

--
Debian GNU/Linux Sarge