[CM] What motivated the change from CL to Scheme?

Brandon Hale bthaleproductions at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:13:08 PST 2023

> Ok, that seems like a decent motivation to switch to Scheme, since it
> is or was used in basic programming courses at universities anyway.
> But am I wrong to assume that this change created a rather
> incompatible version, i.e. all existing compositions based on CLOS,
> and the published papers and books about Common Music became virtually
> obsolete, and the way to compose with version 3 is significantly
> different than with version 2? Or do I have a misconception in this
> respect?
If you need to run anything with Common Music 2, you can still get it to
work...with incudine <https://incudine.sourceforge.net/>! I can also
confirm, as someone who learned lisp with cm-incudine, that Taube's book
"Notes from the Metalevel" works with cm-incudine, thanks to Orm
Finnendahl's help. I use the cm-incudine system for my own endeavors,
like this piece <https://youtu.be/i2BiwwZGtaA?si=24nDxuUqoMETOvr0>
(hopefully it's okay to show a piece, not trying to advertise).

Check out this link: https://github.com/ormf/cm-incudine to learn more.
Cm-incudine relies heavily on Jack, so using it on Linux works the best,
but I've gotten it to work on Macos before at work.

I also wrote an installer for it for Arch Linux distros and a docker
image that can work on any system that docker will run on, without the
realtime audio support of course:

https://github.com/brandflake11/install-cm-incudine

https://github.com/brandflake11/cm-incudine-docker

Brandon Hale