[CM] What motivated the change from CL to Scheme?

Taube, Rick taube at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:03:59 PST 2023

I originally switched from CL to Scheme because I wanted to embed common music in a graphical environment. I managed to do it using swig, but it was a nightmare and clunky.  Bill's s7 scheme, on the other hand, was embeddable by design, and built to support music systems, so it was a no-brainer to move the Common Lisp code to s7 scheme (easy) and embedded it in JUCE (pretty easy) and that worked out really well.  Todd Ingalls came along and started working on a real-time scheduler, and that took the software to a new level.  Sadly for me, when I started the CS+Music curriculum at UIUC, the agreement was for my classes to use 'standard' programming languages. So looking around I decided to port as much as possible to Python, which is fairly lisp-y (it's brain-dead lambda expression not-withstanding...),  has almost no learning curve, and 80% of my student coming into the curriculum already using.  I also liked being able to leverage excellent tools  like pip, Jupyter notebooks and matplotlib for teaching and now I cant live without them.   I just started working with Todd's new cython  wrapper around sndlib (type 'pip install pysndlib'  and you have it) and --  as a first experiment yesterday -- I mostly have  bill's wonderful old  'birds.scm' file chirping away in python. It made me laugh!!

--Rick