[PlanetCCRMA] Unable to run alsaplayer

Mark W. Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Fri Aug 30 20:46:01 2002

Hi,
   OK, reducing the fragcount below 6 gets it to open, but I'm only getting
sound on the left hand side, and on the right I'm getting a click. The click
happens at the same time that I see a message like:

xrun of at least 42.213 msecs. resetting stream

The number in the above line varies every message, and the messages happen
about once every 10 seconds.

   Well, not so great, but at least it's sort of running. Is this likely to
be a driver problem for the AP2496? alsaplayer seemed to work fine on my SB
Audigy.

   If so, I would report this back on the alsa reflector?

   I did an apt-get on the vorbis stuff at planetccrma, but can't figure out
what to run now that it's installed. Where is apt-get putting the rpms?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
[mailto:planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU]On Behalf Of Fernando Pablo
Lopez-Lezcano
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 8:22 PM
To: Mark W. Knecht
Cc: Planet-CCRMA
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Unable to run alsaplayer

>    I did an apt-get on alsaplayer on this AP2496 machine, but it won't
run.
> I also went to the alsaplayer home page and downloaded the rpm file, but
> that failed the same way.
>
>    Here's what I see in an xterm when I try and run alsaplayer. Any ideas?
> (All I typed at the command line was 'alsaplayer'.)
>
>    Again, aplay will play wave files just fine. (At least the couple I've
> tested.)

The problem is that alsaplayer, by default, uses parameters that are not
very sane (IMHO). In this case it is trying to configure the alsa
interface and failing to set the number of periods to 7. There are command
line options you can use to change that. "--fragsize" and "--fragcount"
would be the ones to try... "man alsaplayer" for all parameters.

-- Fernando