[PlanetCCRMA] 2.4.19 kernel ???

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Tue Apr 1 17:07:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:49, dbdbdb wrote:
> Hello!
>
> First, I want to thank to CCRMA and Fernando López for his special good
> work distributing
> the vast majority of linux audio stuff for the musician in an
> easy/logical package.
>
> Second, I have some questions to do:
> - When my PC starts, GRUB list a new kernel that I didn´t installed
> explicitly (2.4.19...), so
> I guess is a low-latency kernel, but it has any other different
> properties of the default-redhat8?

Yes! It supports Alsa, has low latency and preemptive multitasking
installed, and probably much more. Translation - it's good!

> - When I start linux with this kernel, neither ALSA neither JACK works
> fine, maybe I need to
> install them again under this kernel?

The installation of the kernel should have installed a new Alsa. You
need to install an up to date Jack using apt-get or synaptic.

> - (dummy question) How I adjust my mixer settings for the next boot (it
> always appears 'Muted' in
> alsamixer everytime I reboot).

Read the Planet instructions carefully. On the page that installs the
Alsa layer there are also instructions on how to turn it on and keep it
on after a reboot, as well as making the settings permanent. It works,
unless there is something weird about your sound card or something like
that.