[PlanetCCRMA] sound blaster live

Wed Apr 2 18:33:01 2003

> i don't know if we can ask this kind of question on this newsgroup. it's
> related to my sound blaster card. i own the one with the front panel
> (rca in - mic in...).

It would be better in alsa-users, I guess :-)

> is linux able to use the front panel?

Yes.

> is linux able to use the second output (4 speakers in windows)?

I think yes (not sure)

> what mixer do you use to set the record to line in?
> alsamixer is not user-friendly.

You could try gamix, it is a gui mixer that does the same thing.

> cause i was able to see movements in peak meters of pd (it's was my line
> in input) but no more luck...

Take a look at:

/usr/share/doc/alsa-driver-0.9.2/Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt:

Look for the snd-emu10k1 part, there are options you can set so that it
properly uses the additional i/o that the front panel supplies. In the
options line for that card in /etc/modules.conf you have to add
extin=some_number and extout=some_number as outlined in the
documentation.

/usr/share/doc/alsa-driver-0.9.2/Documentation/SB-Live-mixer.txt:

Some documentation about the meaning of all those mixer controls...

I don't use one so I don't know if any of this works :-)
-- Fernando