[PlanetCCRMA] a little ot but... (plus "there's something about jack")

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 20:43:01 2003

--- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > Have any of you noticed any flakyness using pd and jack?  I'm able
> > kick myself out of pd quite easily by grabbing and moving several
> > objects at once.  This only happens with "jackd -R" it can't be
> > duplicated using alsa output alone.
>
> Probably jack is kicking out pd. Pd is going to be difficult to
> really
> integrate with jack as (as I understand it) meshes the gui and the
> audio
> too closely so that the gui can delay the audio.

Yep, that's my thought.  When running pd without jack, moving around
lots of objects results in the display lagging and audio dropouts...

> > Jackd is a bit further along,
> > maybe recent cvs improves stability?
>
> Current pd cvs is supposed to be better from some comments I've read
> in
> the pd list. I'll see if I can release a newer rpm.

Awesome.

> Current jack cvs... I spent almost the whole day yesterday rebuilding
> rpms under rh8 to get everything rebuilt for the new jack.
> Regretfully
> there are still problems with qjackconnect, quitting an application
> almost certainly causes qjackconnect to segfault (ok, you can restart
> it
> but that should not happen). Anyway, I'll try to post with more
> details.

I'm using alsa-patch-bay now anyway since qt stuff is broken with
shrike.

> I could update the repository anyway, I have not made up my mind yet.
> Jack users out there: thoughts?

How bout put the newer jackd packages up in a "secret" directory, (the
same one I snuck the current kernael out of would be good) so those
interested could grab it.

> [two other caveats: the current ecasound - 2.2.2 - does not rebuild
> with
> the current jack cvs, I would have to switch - temporarily - to
> ecasound
> cvs; soundtracker does not build either, the old binary seems to
> still
> work in limited tests although I would not trust it; in both cases it
> is
> because of api changes in the transport layer of jack].

Couldn't you just prevent people with those packages from installing
the newer jack by setting un-meetable dependencies?  Probably a really
bad idea...

> -- Fernando

-ry

=====