[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi won't boot

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sun Apr 6 07:19:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 22:19, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > the label "/". You could try replacing the root= parameter with the real
> > > device of the "/" partition.<
> >
> > Okay, this made things a little worse, as init won't load.
>
> Yuck!
>
> > But I did notice
> > a warning message that an EXT3 partition was being loaded as an EXT2 one.
> > In 2.4.19-1.ll, at that point, it loads as an EXT3 partition.  So, that is
> > probably the cause; does 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi have EXT3 support?  Would I have
> > to recompile the kernel myself?
>
> It has ext3 support and I'm using it with several machines that are
> booting into ext3. I don't really know what might be happening. Maybe
> you should stay in 2.4.19 for now...
>
> -- Fernando

I saw this on one lab machine of mine at work on a kernel I built. (Not
a Planet kernel.) I have 4 Asus A7V133 machines for doing 1394 testing.
I eventually determined (in my case) that if I was trying to boot to an
ext3 partition AND I had a separate boot partition, my kernel refused to
recognize labels for booting. It would however boot fine if I used
something like:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda6
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img

Mark