[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi won't boot

John Wheeler jdw27_42@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 16:36:02 2003

>From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@attbi.com>
>CC: John Wheeler <jdw27_42@hotmail.com>, PlanetCCRMA
><planetccrma@ccrma.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Kernel 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi won't boot
>Date: 06 Apr 2003 07:20:45 -0700
>
>I saw this on one lab machine of mine at work on a kernel I built. (Not
>a Planet kernel.) I have 4 Asus A7V133 machines for doing 1394 testing.
>I eventually determined (in my case) that if I was trying to boot to an
>ext3 partition AND I had a separate boot partition, my kernel refused to
>recognize labels for booting. It would however boot fine if I used
>something like:
>
>title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
>         root (hd0,4)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda6
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img

Hmm, I thought I had done that.  I do have a separate boot partition. (All
my linux partitions are ext3.)  I tried making the change again, and while I
got the same warning, I was able to successfully boot.  (BTW, first I tried
pci=noacpi instead of acpi=off, but that failed miserably.)  I still don't
understand why I didn't get the warning message (and root=LABEL=/ worked)
with 2.4.18 or 19.

Thanks.
++JohnWheeler