[PlanetCCRMA] 9 stuff

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 12:24:01 2003

Howdy,

Or use alsa-patch-bay which works fine with rh 9.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed,  9 Apr 2003 15:54:14 -0300
> From: "luciorgomes" <luciorgomes@uol.com.br>
> To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading RH 8.0 to 9
>
> Hi Fernando
>
> How must I proceed to upgrade from RH 8.0 to 9? Did I have to
> remove all Planet Ccrma packages first, and then, after
> upgraded, reinstall everything from the 9 repository?

If you upgrade with the rh 8 planet packages installed you won't get a
FULL rh 9 update because some dependencies can not be met.  This isn't
always a bad thing...  If you use Pd for example, updating to rh 9
tcl/tk will break it.

IMHO (this is what I did) if you use a lot of rh 8 planet packages it
makes sense to keep them installed and upgrade to rh 9.  This way MOST
of your packages will still work with some exceptions (qt apps mostly).
 Remeber, as I said you'll not have all rh 9 updates, but once planet
packages for 9 come out you can run up2date to bring your hat up to
speed.

If you CAN wait, I know Nando is working hard on planet updates...
you'll be able to uninstall all the rh 8 planet stuff, uptdate to rh 9
and then re-install all your toys along with the latest greatest rh
stuff.

Btw, I'm a big rh 9 fan, very nice upgrade.

-ry

=====
--r--