[PlanetCCRMA] DVD playback not fluent

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 14:32:01 2003

hi all,

thanks for the reactions. today i downloaded the linux driver for
nvidia cards, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run and some documentation.
it was easy to install.

i copied the existing XFree86config-4 file to a temporary one which i
pre-edited (in Gnome) according the readme with changes needed for
the accelerated nvidia driver.

default i do not boot into X. i had the kernel headers installed,
then ran the nvidia script. this compiled the driver for me, no
problems.

since i'm not such a hero with vi i then copied my pre-edited XFree86
config file to overwrite the existing one (i do have a .ORIG
backup!). now i could just do 'startx' and voila, the nvidia logo
appeared. no errors in the logfile, and AGP 4x is enabled.

DVD playback is now as i want it. fluent, fullscreen and LOUD (well,
thats my mixer setting   ;-) )

so now i run low latency (ll) kernel together with the nvidia driver.
i immediately had one hard system crash but after reboot RH fixed my
partitions...(phew)
i made some changes as suggested in the readme for my Athlon/VIA
cpu/chipset combination. since then it looks rock solid, fingers
crossed.

thanks, and i'm off to being creative.
ALEX