[PlanetCCRMA] HDSP 9652 - Some first results, but lockups and no actual audio

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Apr 12 10:38:01 2003

Hi,
   OK, I'm finally starting to get on-line with the newest versions of
Alsa and the new HDSP 9652 driver as released on PlanetCCRMA last night.
I'm getting a lot of reasonable or even good results, but no actual
audio unfortunately. Also, I've had three hard lockups of the machine
that has required a reset button pushes to get out.

   IMPORTANT - THIS IS A NEW MACHINE! This specific machine has been up
and stable for about 3 weeks running RH 8.0, doing email and waiting for
this driver. This machine has never run Alsa successfully, so whatever
problems I'm seeing may well be of my own creation somehow. The HDSP did
work previously, but now has new firmware. (Rev. 11) I will continue to

   IDEA - The machine was previously configured to use the on-board Via
Sound Chip while I waited for the HDSP driver to be available. I never
actually hooked up speakers though. Possibly something about that
previous configuration is effecting me now???

   The new PlanetCCRMA kernel is 2.4.20-4.ll.acpi. I have disabled acpi
at the grub command line. Alsa is installed and apparently running.
(lsmod looks at least reasonable.)

   Jack is running at all buffer sizes with no xruns. I've run alsamixer
to set levels on all channels to 76. I've run alsactl store to save
state and rebooted to make sure that the state is restored.

   qjackconnect runs and shows jack application and hardware audio
ports. alsaplayer runs and plays a CD, but no audio is apparently
delivered to my external D/A. I can run meterbridge and see apparent
audio in the PC. gamix runs and shows me things that look like it
understands the HDSP 9652. (26 I/O's, ADAT sync info, preferred clock
source, etc.)

   And, yes, power is turned on for my D/A! ;-)

   jackrec runs and creates a file. The file can be loaded into Sweep
and looks like audio. I have not listened to the file as of yet since I
cannot get audio. I will send it to my Windows box soon to ensure it's
OK.

   NOTE BELOW - I have told Jack to run at 44.1K, but the ADAT 1 lock
seems to be at 48K which is the default frequency of the external A/D if
it doesn't receive a clock on it's input. More evidence that nothing is
really being transmitted? Not sure...

   The one major sort of problem I've seen 3 times now is that with
alsaplayer open, if I open alsamixer to set levels I've locked the
machine up twice. The machine locked up a third time, but I do not
remember exactly what I was doing at the time. All three times required
a reset button push.

   I'll attach some system info, and will certainly try anything that
might be suggested to get this working. Thanks in advance for any ideas
about what I've missed.

Cheers,
Mark

[root@Wizard etc]# more modules.conf
alias char-major-10-134 off
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 bcm4400
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-hdsp index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

add options -k snd-card-0

post-install snd-hdsp /usr/bin/hdsploader
[root@Wizard etc]#

[root@Wizard etc]# hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME HDSP 9652 at 0xe8800000, irq 10
[root@Wizard etc]#

[root@Wizard root]# lsmod
ide-cd                 35548   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  33344   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
snd-mixer-oss          16536   2  (autoclean)
snd-seq-midi            5280   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      5928   0  [snd-seq-midi]
snd-seq                49648   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-hdsp               39212   2
snd-pcm                85888   0  [snd-hdsp]
snd-page-alloc          8452   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-timer              20776   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi            19712   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-hdsp]
snd-seq-device          6380   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd-hwdep               7008   0  [snd-hdsp]
snd                    44836   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-hdsp snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device snd-hwdep]
soundcore               6724   5  [snd]
snd-hammerfall-mem      2976   0  [snd-hdsp]
autofs                 13588   0  (autoclean) (unused)
bcm4400                31136   1
ipt_REJECT              3928   6  (autoclean)
iptable_filter          2412   1  (autoclean)
ip_tables              14904   2  [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
ohci1394               29224   0  (unused)
ieee1394               60044   0  [ohci1394]
mousedev                5588   0  (unused)
keybdev                 2912   0  (unused)
hid                    22148   0  (unused)
input                   5824   0  [mousedev keybdev hid]
usb-uhci               27116   0  (unused)
ehci-hcd               20488   0  (unused)
usbcore                79840   1  [hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd]
ext3                   71808   1
jbd                    53908   1  [ext3]
[root@Wizard root]#

[root@Wizard root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    1977701          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       8743          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:       2178          XT-PIC  eth0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  ehci-hcd, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci
 10:      57026          XT-PIC  hdsp
 11:          2          XT-PIC  ohci1394
 12:      48832          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      13159          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       9355          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:    1977713
ERR:       2364
MIS:          0
[root@Wizard root]#

[root@Wizard card0]# more /proc/asound/card0/hdsp
RME HDSP 9652 (Card #1)
Buffers: capture dde00000 playback ddc00000
IRQ: 10 Registers bus: 0xe8800000 VM: 0xe0967000
Control register: 0x1008098
Status register: 0x6086a48
Status2 register: 0xffff8061
FIFO status: 0
MIDI1 Output status: 0xffffff00
MIDI1 Input status: 0xffffff80
MIDI2 Output status: 0xffffff00
MIDI2 Input status: 0xffffff5f

Buffer Size (Latency): 1024 samples (2 periods of 4096 bytes)
Hardware pointer (frames): 1024
Passthru: no
Line out: on
Firmware version: 1