[PlanetCCRMA] Latest Alsa

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sun Apr 13 09:32:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 08:04, eric devost wrote:
> Merci Mark and Guy! /usr/sbin/alsactl store did the job.
>
> I have another question, regarding multiple sound cards.
>
> I just installed a second soundcard on my planet-music-box. I know you
> guy's changed alsaconf for something else? Am I right? What tool can I
> use to add another soundcard usable by alsa and finaly, is it possible
> to get the two cards work in sync?
>
> Thanx again!
>
> Eric,

Eric,
   Glad one problem is solved!

   To set up multiple cards, run alsaconf on one card, allow it to
change your /etc/modules.conf file. Save a copy of that file. Then run
alsaconf again to set up the second file. Then hand edit modules.conf to
put the data for both in there. You also have to set the number of cards
higher (I think) to allow alsa to see both. Probably then run depmod -a
to look for problems. If everything is OK, try rebooting, then use lsmod
to see if everything is loaded in memory. Look in /proc/asound to see if
oyu have two cards.

   As for doing this in sync, Alsa cannot control that. You need a
hardware method for syncing the two cards. My RME cards have Word Clock
and ADAT sync. It's one reason I bought them as opposed to some others.

   There was someone working on syncing two cards on Alsa-Dev the other
day using s/pdif out (I think!) on one goinf to the other, and syncing
the second card from the s/pdif clock. You might think about whether
your cards have some ability like that.

Good luck!

Mark