[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA and Red Carpet

Thu Dec 4 19:40:02 2003

> I asked people at Ximian to add PlanetCCRMA to Open Carpet and they did
> it right away! From now on, you can update your Planet installation
> using Red Carpet instead of apt-get (apt-get runs into trouble with
> Ximian products ...).

Hmmm, what kind of trouble have you experienced? Could you be more
specific?

If the trouble is about dependencies see this:
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2003-October/002943.html
and also the references to other thread inside that email.

In a nutshell, they _force_ the install of a package that is obsoleted
by one of the original RedHat packages, and then anyone (not just Planet
CCRMA) trying to use a package manager that relies on proper package
dependencies can't.It is a BIG no no. I would say, bad monkey, no cookie
:-)

While this may be interesting (Planet CCRMA on Open Carpet), I'm really
unhappy that Ximian breaks other systems by the way they package things.
It is not rocket science and rather easy to fix at their end. But then
maybe your problem was different.

-- Fernando