[PlanetCCRMA] OSS blocking ALSA? (Newbie)

Toby toby@fatstudios.com
Fri Dec 5 12:08:01 2003

I apologize if this topic has already been pounded into the ground.
I’ve read the Web site, and I’ve been monitoring the mailings but I’ve
been unable to resolve my issue.

OSS blocking ALSA?
I believe that the OSS drivers are blocking my ALSA drivers, but I am
struggling to remove the conflict.  I have a M-Audio Delta 66 card.  I
managed to install Fedora, the updates, kernel patch and ALSA drivers.
The ALSA package appears to be running; however I am unable to get any
sound out of my card.  The CCRMA Web site suggest looking at the /sbin
directory (/sbin/lsmod) for installed modules, and then removing any
OSS modules (/sbin/rmmod mod_name).  But I have no idea, which modules
are referring to OSS.

I’m running KDE as my x-server.  I believe that the ALSA drivers have
successfully loaded and have identified my card with the ICE1712
driver.  I tried to start the ALSA drivers from the command line and
the system told me that ALSA was already running.  I went into the
visual mixer (envy24control), and un-muted the two outputs.  I also
tested the inputs and it appears that I am getting sound into the card.

I would appreciate anyone’s insight into my conflict.  I am computer
literate, but have little Linux experience.  Thanks.

~trb