[PlanetCCRMA] how best to install Ardour?

Fri Dec 19 10:53:01 2003

> Thanks ... no, I'm not at all opposed to GUIs.  If I knew what I was
> doing, maybe I'd feel better about doing it all from the command line,
> but I'm not there yet.
>
> I'd forgotten about synaptic because somewhere in the first few pages of
> Fernando's instructions he mentions it but warns against using it until
> all the Planet CCRMA components have been installed.  Do you know why?

I had a few cases of users happily jumping into synaptic at that point,
installing the apps (some kernel and alsa goes in through dependencies,
usually the wrong one) and never looking into configuring sound. Then
the message arrives: sound does not work (well, sometimes you see that
problem _after_ configuring sound, of course).

-- Fernando