synaptic and apt-get (was Re: [PlanetCCRMA] how best to install Ardour?)

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 12:11:02 2003

 --- David Fraser <davidf@sjsoft.com> wrote: > Aaron Heller wrote:

> > Alex Timmer wrote:
> >
> >> my $0.02... i stopped using Synaptic since i had a few times
> >> problems with it (freeze during install, corruption of
> >> database etc). with the command line i never had these things
> >> so far.
> >

> > Same here.  apt-get is reliable but Synaptic often hangs while
> > installing packages.  I now use it only to find and examine
> > dependencies of packages, but then use apt-get to do the download
> > and installation itself.
> >
> > Is there anyway to use apt-get or apt-cache to search or browse
> > what packages are available from the server?
>
> I find apt-shell is a nice tool ... command line interface, with lots
> of help
>
> David

wow, thanks for this pointer. i never used apt-shell before because it
had no manpage(!), but it looks very nice. indeed, its capable to show
a list of all packages with the list command...

and the last line of the help is hilarious    =)
" This APT has Super Cow Powers."

moo!  ALEX