[PlanetCCRMA] alsa driver not running, somehow involves alsactl and snd_ctl_open

Sun Jan 5 18:42:01 2003

> I'm new to the list.  Hope everybody's having a happy new year so far.
> I use Red Hat 8.0, and I'm trying to get my soundcard up and running
> (Delta Audiophile 2496 using ice1712), but alsa isn't letting me do so.
> This is the modified /etc/modules.conf file after running alsaconf.
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
> options snd-ice1712 index=0
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Looks fine so far.

> Starting sound driver snd-ice1712                          [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
> Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1123: No
> soundcards found...
>                                                           [FAILED]

That'd fine, you don't have yet configured the mixer, so that part of
the startup sequence fails.

> Then I ran alsamixer and gnome-alsamixer:
>
> [richard@localhost richard]$ alsamixer
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory

Looks like the device is not active for some reason, but according to
what you sent the card driver loaded fine. What modules do you have
loaded at that point? (see using "/sbin/lsmod").

What do you see at this point (after the driver has started) in
/proc/asound?

Try stopping and starting the driver again:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

-- Fernando