[PlanetCCRMA] kernel config file - building only 1394 drivers

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Jan 7 09:37:01 2003

So is mine. I'm not a programmer, as you know, but I actually did manage to
write and sell some software years ago. (A DX-7 patch editor. Actually made
a couple of thousand dollars, but learned I shouldn't quit my day job!)

I should go look up your discussions as I do 1394 for a living, and you're a
smart guy. Could only be good for me, I think.

One technical issue that would be 'interesting' top solve would be that
Isochronous Cycles on a 1394 bus guarantees timely delivery, unlike
Ethernet, but the bus runs at 8KHz. (125uS clicks) This would fit well with
no buffering on 48K samples, but would not be an exact transfer with 44.1K.
Possibly that's not a problem as you could always transfer 44100 samples,
and then just throw away the other 3900. (48000-44100) Or possibly use those
cycles to transfer MIDI info, or other control structures.

Lots of fun things to do!