[PlanetCCRMA] kernel config file - building only 1394 drivers

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Tue Jan 7 17:28:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 23:19, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > The 1394 drivers are already part of the compiled kernel rpms... why
> > > would you need to recompile?
> > >
> > Fernando,
> >    I'm havign problems with a couple fo 1394 devices. Unfortunately the
> > 1394 drivers supplied with 2.4.19 are pretty old and do not include a
> > number of bug fixes for different sbp2 devices.
>
> Same here, I tried an ieee1394 enclosure for my old laptop drive and it
> did not work. I could get to the filesystem (fdisk, for example), I
> could even mount it, but any amount of accessing would eventually
> produce i/o errors (at the ieee1394 transport layer, I believe). I
> shelved it waiting for new drivers. So I would be interested in solving
> this as well.

Fernando,
   I had a minor breakthrough today. Do you know about
rescan-scsi-bus.sh? Apparently some people understood, but I didn't that
the Linux 1394 stack pretty much REQUIRES that you run this script file
any time you plug in a 1394 device or you're not currently guaranteed to
see new 1394 devices. This seems to be especially true for 1394 hard
drives, but not true for 1394 CD/CDR/CDRW drives. Go figure.

   You can get the script at:

http://www.garloff.de.kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

It apparently has to be run as root on my system, but that's OK. It
seems to have magically made my problematic hard drive nicely visible
this evening.

   One symptom of needing this script would be that if you boot with the
drive already attached and powered up and could see the drive, but have
trouble hot plugging it, then you need this script. If that's not the
case, you need it anyway! ;-)

   I hope this helps you get your drive working. With this in place, I'd
still like to get this driver thing worked out, but it's not as crucial
as I now have another 80GB of storage.

Cheers,
Mark