[PlanetCCRMA] FW: Redhat 8.0: Recompile the whole thing (or what I need) ala Gentoo???

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu Jan 9 10:24:06 2003

Fernando,
   Rick Stevens is one of the most knowledgeable Redhat guys who
participates on the Redhat install reflector. His comments below raise the
question of whether it would be advantageous to have an Athlon version of
the Planet kernel for those who'd like to try it out.

   In my case, since I'm looking at kernel builds anyway, I may do that.
However, possibly you might want to consider this for some future
enhancement to the Planet?

   Should you want to try it out, if I could have both the 686 and Athlon
kernels installed I'd be happy to do any testing that might help out. (Time
permitting)

Thanks,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:36 AM
To: redhat-install-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Redhat 8.0: Recompile the whole thing (or what I need) ala
Gentoo???

Matthew Vanderhoof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to do an installation of Redhat 8.0 where I recompile all the
> rpms (and maybe even the base rpms & system) from scratch.  My reason:
> performance.  My ideal situation would be to:
>   1. run through the installation GUI, pick out all the nice details,
> hardware, rpms...
>   2. have all the info be saved to a kickstart file (of some sort, or
> nearest equivalent).
>   3.  Recompile all the RPMS to benefit from performance enhancements &
> automaticall store them somewhere conventient.
>   4.  install them all and reap the benefits of the freshly compiled &
> optimized distro.
>
> ? wouldn't that just rock ?

Compared to the work you're setting out to give yourself, the amount
of performance increase you'd get would be exceedingly minor.  For the
average mix of applications, the vast majority of the time used to
run them is spent in the kernel or in one of the various libraries,
mostly libc.  If you have the kernel optomized for your processor AND
use the 686 version of libc (if appropriate), you've pushed it about
as much as is practical.

The most performance gain I've found is an Athlon running an Athlon
kernel versus a 686 kernel.  The speed increase with the Athlon kernel
varied from about 12 to about 30%.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@vitalstream.com -
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -