[PlanetCCRMA] FW: Redhat 8.0: Recompile the whole thing (or what I need) ala Gentoo???

Thu Jan 9 16:51:01 2003

An interesting idea... I don't think you will see a big improvement but
you don't know till you try, right? I'll consider it for latter. Right
now I'm even having trouble trying to support i386 in addition to i686
(apparently apt loads the wrong arch package for the alsa drivers,
sigh).

>     [Remembering the English 'kid' with the hankerchief-hat on MontyPython...]
>
>     I'd like ta see...
>
>     An apt-able Redhat Linux 8.0/8.1 with the **pre-emptive** kernel.
>     That would be very interesting.
>
>     [Hitting myself in the head with a brick, just like on MontyPython...]

Wish granted, at lesat for 8.0 (that was easy :-) I have not tried the
8.1 beta so far, I wonder what will happen with the new pthread library
in glibc... Anyway, 2.4.19-1.ll includes both the preemptible kernel
patch and the low latency patch.

-- Fernando