[PlanetCCRMA] ES1969 Solo-1 MIDI port help

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sun Jan 12 08:41:02 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 08:21, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 08:02:34 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Steve,
> >    What is the Audiodrive? I looked online but didn't spot a data sheet
> > on it. Don't know how I might help, but interested in trying.
>
> I dont know exactly, its a small cheap pci soundcard. It says solo-1 on
> the board. The alsa driver is snd-es1938.
>
> I've tried replacing the soundcard cable and that didn't help.
>
> - Steve
Humm...so the problem is MIDI  out? MIDI in? Or both?

You talked about using cat on a bunch of devices. For a MIDI in test
Paul had me try

dd if=/dev/snd/midiC0D0 bs=1

which worked with my keyboard, once I figured out tht the RME cable
wasn't totally plugged in. The cable head was slightly too large to get
between the metal slot openings in the back of my PC, so I had to modify
my case just a bit.

I'm actually experiencing three problems with Alsa/Jack right now, sort
of in this area:

1) For me, none of the HDSP 9652 stuff gets created in /dev/snd until I
start Jack. Until Jack is running I can't even see HDSP MIDI devices.

(Could this be effecting you? Try running Jack and see if anything
changes. Probably not, but what the heck.)

2) The HDSP MIDI Timing is impossibly bad. A 2 minute song in Rosegarden
takes nearly three minutes to play. I cannot find anyone to help me with
this problem as of yet. I need a good programmer to point me in the
right direction and probably will have to build the fix myself.

3) 50% of the time, on a cold boot, the HDSP doesn't get memory
allocated and I can't use it until I reboot.

   All of the above are frustrating, and manageable in one way or
another, but point toward none of this being ready for prime time as of
yet. ;-)

Good luck,
Mark