[PlanetCCRMA] Anyone else getting this?

Sat Jan 18 15:50:02 2003

> > Oh. Never heard, but sounds smart. Have any URL at hand?
> >
> > > I dont think its available until redhat 8.1 though.
> >
> > Oh?
> >
> > blades@remiel% rpm -qf  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so.1.0  \
> > --qf '%{name}\t %{version}-%{release}\n %{packager}\n'
> > XFree86-libs     4.2.0-72
> >  Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> > blades@remiel% rpm -q redhat-release
> > redhat-release-8.0-8
> >
> > Though remiel has been apted from 7.1 or so to 8.0 and some packages
> > come from who knows where.
>
>     Uh...OK.  That's the version of XFree86-libs that I have now!
>
>     What gives?

What is your current version of gtk2?

I currently have (on RedHat 8.0) gtk2-2.0.6-8. You probably have a
different version than the stock redhat package, because the version I
have does not require libXrandr.so.2 at all:

  $ rpm -q --requires gtk2|grep libXrandr
  $

[The meaning of the error message you were getting from apt is: the
dependencies in your current rpm dabatase are wrong, gtk2 needs to have
libXrandr.so.2 but that library is not available (either on your system
or on the Planet CCRMA repository).]

The most common reason for having unmet dependencies is using "--force"
or "--nodeps" when installing rpms. My guess is that you have installed
at some point a newer version of the gtk2/glib2 rpms and you used one of
the two aforementioned switches to bypass a warning about unmet
dependencies.

Apt needs clean dependencies to be able to work.
-- Fernando