[PlanetCCRMA] Installing wireless card

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jan 19 06:24:02 2003

Hi Joseph,

I didn't have to use RedHat-config-network tool. Though I am using version
15 of the wlan drivers which I got from the linux-wlan.org site. I also
got the wireless tools package from

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

Wireless tools has a script for /etc/rc.d/init.d/wlan and also has the
iwconfig script which you are mentioning. You don't mention the
/etc/modules.conf. You should have an entry that looks like:

 alias wlan0 prism2_cs

 and do depmod -a after editing it.

 Do an rpm -qa | grep ^kernel to find out the version of
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.x.x. Your /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.x.x must match the
version of your kernel kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.x.x. rpm package.

You should also edit the file /etc/pcmcia/wlan.conf the SSID entry with
the name SSID (which I take from your mail is fertile-grounds) your
wireless network is using. Open a new terminal window as root and do a
tail -f /var/log/messages. If compilation goes fine and after all these
editing you should restart pcmcia card services by doing a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart.  Wlan services should start
automatically. If so you can check your network status by doing an
/sbin/ifconfig. Wlan should appear in one of the entries. Alternatively
you can stop pcmcia services and network services and restart them to see
what is going on.

Hope this is helpful.

  --* Juan