[PlanetCCRMA] Building Alsa RPMs...

Sat Jan 25 12:46:02 2003

> > > Anyway, why is the rpm in the i686 directory? What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Nothing wrong. The instructions are not complete and do not cover all
> > possible cases ("you are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike"
> > :-)
> FYI - you are in a maze of email messages coming from me. They all look
> alike, however, I am working on three separate machines, so don't assume
> that it's always the same machine or the same kernel. ;-)
>
> Ok, so following my nose in this dark passage, I modify your Step 3 for
> i686 architectures and get good looking results:
>
> su
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> rpm -bb alsa-driver-0.9.0-44.spec
> rpm -Uvh ../RPMS/i686/alsa-driver*0.9.0-44.i366.rpm
>

> I then start step 4 and get bad results:
>
> cp: cannot create regular file `./install-sh': No such file or directory
> automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
>    error while copying

Weird, sounds like a permissions problem but that does not make sense...
I'll try rebuilding in a rh7.3 system.

Anyway, in your particular case you can skip the rest of the steps and
only modify / install the alsa-driver rpms. Why? You are just going to
apply a small patch to a specific driver, so essentially the libs and
utils are going to keep working fine and do not need to be rebuild. If
you were to, for example, download a new cvs tarball then you would need
to rebuild all.

So
- copy the patch to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
- add it to the spec file:
  search for "patch4" and add both a description of the patch:

Patch4: ....
Patch5: name_of_patch_file

  and apply the patch

%patch4 -p1
%patch5 -p1

- rebuild the alsa-driver binary rpms
- reinstall the alsa-driver binary rpms
- restart alsa
- test

-- Fernando
[BTW: the compile of alsa-lib works on a 7.3 machine...]