[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic 2

Mon Jan 27 11:08:00 2003

> i didn't know it could be a driver issue, i've had a problem with alsa
> driver installation, system says module snd-intel8x0 couldn't be
> loaded because of irq or ioports problem.

> i don't know how to solve it, i have a creamware soundcard that have no
> linux driver, i want linux to ignore it, i want to use my onboard sound
> ( chipset nforce2 APU ), it has a free OSS driver that may sound bad
> ( i've read it on internet ) anyway i didn't manage to install it.
> that's the only problem i've had with red planet cds, it is caused by one
> peripheral, but i don't know wich one.

I'm not clear about what is actually happening. First: can you boot into
the Planet CCRMA kernel? If not (as I think is the case from your
previous emails) then installing the ALSA binary rpms from Planet CCRMA
will not help because the kernel modules are compiled for that
particular kernel.

If you boot into the Planet CCRMA kernel then the second issue is
whether the current ALSA drivers support your particular soundcard.

> i looked in proc/ioports and saw many unknown devices from nvidia, i also
> looked in hardware monitor, usb seems to work, so i don't know what to do.
> alsaconf didn't recognize my onboard sound although i didn't install oss
> driver at the second install

Then probably your onboard card is not currently supported by ALSA.
Alsaconf looks at the pci id's of all devices and tries to match them
with the ones it knows about. The fix might be as simple as adding the
proper id to an existing driver, I would ask for more information about
your particular soundcard in the alsa-user or alsa-devel mailing lists
(did you look at the soundcard matrix in http://www.alsa-project.org/?).

-- Fernando