[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA on the cheap: red hat 8 questions (long post)

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 11:29:01 2003

 --- "I. Read" <multiphonic@yahoo.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I haven't been able to get the "extra" low latency
> kernel provided with CCRMA to work on my system, but I
> have been able to get the "lower" latency alsa patched
> red hat kernel. I'm really curious, were I to patch
> and/or recompile the kernel myself by hand, what the
> ingredients of the preferred CCRMA kernel are so I go
> one at a time and see what works and what doesn't.

what problems do you have with the CCRMA kernel? i guess it doesn't
boot after you install it??? can you tell us a bit more?

> I'm wondering what people's experiences with ardour
> have been like on more capable machines.

ardour is great, still beta, but quite stable for me at the moment.

<SNIP>
> another question: since I've installed the apt-enabled
> cds from the CCRMA website, can I use synaptic to
> apt-get .debs as well as rpms or will the differences
> between rh and debian be problematic? I guess that's
> what alien is for.

i use the apt-enabled RH cd's so that all redhat packages are also in
the apt repository, and not only the CCRMA packages (this is as i
understand it). i use cdrom's because my linux audio computer has no
internet connection. it works great.

> sorry about the long long post, I guess I should have
> joined the list sooner so that these questions could
> have arrived in chronological order.

you're welcome. hopefully others can help you with your Gnome login
problem. did you already look around on http://www.gnome.org and/or
tried Google?
ALEX