[PlanetCCRMA] two kernel patches sets merged

Florin Andrei florin@andrei.myip.org
Thu Jul 24 22:09:02 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 17:12, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > So i took the main patches from the PlanetCCRMA set and combined them
> > with the Con Kolivas patches set. No rejects, the patches applied to the
> > kernel and then the kernel compiled just fine.
>
> Good to know. I'll try to create a new set of rpms when I get some time
> (maybe next week or the week after, I just got back from a long break
> and I have tons of things to catch up to).

Welcome back! :-)

> Thanks for the work and please let us know of any more tests you do (or
> bugs you find)!

Actually, i used both the PlanetCCRMA and the "combined" (CK +
PlanetCCRMA) kernels for a while. The thing is, the disk I/O performance
is simply not enough. I'm using my system for all sorts of video stuff
too, not just audio, and the disk subsystem tends to be used pretty
heavily.
Also, it's strange, but neither of these kernels has an overall desktop
responsiveness that i could rely on. Probably due to the unusual
workloads i'm throwing at the system.
Another thing, with these kernels, no matter which media player i use
(Xine, Gxine, Ogle, Goggles, mplayer...), the CPU load is very high when
playing any sort of video file. I tried anything i could think of: AGP
stuff, Xv, whatever. Nothing could fix it.
Weird...
(My system is an nForce motherboard, with a GeForce2 embedded; i'm using
the "official" nVidia drivers)

So i went back to the plain Red Hat kernel. Amazing disk I/O, while
keeping the system extremely snappy under (my kind of) load. The media
players can play any video at ~1% CPU load.
However, it lacks capabilities, as i discovered today when trying to run
ReZound. :-(

So, i guess i'll give a try to your Red Hat + capabilities kernel.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/