[PlanetCCRMA] NTP anyone?

Florin Andrei planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jul 24 22:16:01 2003

Anyone noticed any anomalies when doing media stuff and running ntpd?

Normally, ntpd is not supposed to make the system time jump, but
sometimes it does. For example, on some bad systems, if you do things
like CD-writing, for some reason the system CPU usage goes through the
roof. The system is very unresponsive meanwhile (no matter which
kernel), and afterwards you end up with a system clock that's quite a
few seconds behind.
Shortly thereafter, ntpd makes the clock jump.

I also suspect that there are other situation when ntpd makes the system
clock do "micro-jumps".

Whatever the case, that sometimes made my video players run amok: the
video becomes very jerky, the sound confused and hissing, etc. A simple
restart of the application is enough to restore it.

So, i wonder if anyone else noticed bad things happening when running
ntpd on systems that depend heavily on a precise and uniform clock.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/