[PlanetCCRMA] libstdc++.so.5 on RH7.3?

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Tue Jul 29 12:56:02 2003

> Being that the Alsa site doesn't discuss this, and the RME Hammerfall
> device
> pages at the Alsa site don't discuss this, and to the best of my
> knowledge
> no Linux page in the world really discusses what is meant by a 'mixer
> hardware' in sound card, I somehow had come to think that alsamixer
> was a
> badly named app and really should have been called
> 'alsachannelvolumecontroller'. My mistake...) ;-)

Hi Mark -

I used to have a Hammerfall 9652 (actually, I never actually attached
the ADAT daughter board, so it was really a Hammerfall Lite) and
remember the lack of a mixer "element".

The idea being that "all digital" cards like these should not have/need
volume controls.  They should simply pass 1's and 0's to/from external
hardware.

I think there are still discussions of this in the linux-audio-user
archive (circa 2000/1 ??) if you have an interest...but it's probably
just me discussing my most recent cranial injury after banging my head
on the desk trying to get the thing working!

Kevin

=====
"I should prefer this note not be read or, if skimmed, that it should be forgotten." - Mallarme