[PlanetCCRMA] living on the (planet)edge: updates: kernels, alsa, jack

Thu Jun 5 11:28:00 2003

As promised earlier this week some new stuff for the lovers of the
bleeding edge is online. If I don't hit problems after a few days
(everything seems fine in the machines I have tested this on) I'll move
all this stuff off the edge and into the core of the planet :-)

- new Planet CCRMA kernel: 2.4.20-12.ll.acpi
  lowest latency, may have hiccups with hardware that depends on RedHat
  specific kernel patches.
  . based on 2.4.21-rc7 (very up to date :-)
  . capabilities, low latency, preemptible kernel patches
  . full acpi
  . HZ=1000
  . alsa rtc patch
  . drm updates from the RedHat kernel (provides newer drm version)
  . use dma when extracting audio from cdroms (untested)

- new RedHat capabilities kernel: 2.4.20-18.1.caps
  partial low latency patch but not so bad - the advantage is that it is
  the same as the RedHat kernel (should work on all machines where you
  managed to install RedHat).
  . same exact kernel as the latest RedHat update (2.4.20-18.x)
  . plus capabilities
  . plus drm low latency patches
  . plus alsa rtc patch

[BTW: the new kernels are compiled on 7.2 (for 7.2/7.3), 8.0 and 9 so
there should be less issues with building extra kernel modules]

- new alsa: 0.9.4-1.cvs: the latest and greatest, many bugs fixed, new
  bugs created (I'm sure)!

- new jack: 0.72.0-1
  . installs a mount point for /var/lib/jack/tmp in /etc/fstab and
    mounts it at install time. Helps with low latency when /tmp is in a
    journalled filesystem.

To install add (temporarily) these entries to your /etc/apt/sources.list
and do an "apt-get update" (beware of broken lines due to mailer
wrapping):

RedHat 7.2:
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/7.2/en/i386 planetedge
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/7.x/en/i386 planetedge

RedHat 7.3:
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/7.3/en/i386 planetedge
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/7.x/en/i386 planetedge

RedHat 8.0
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/8.0/en/i386 planetedge

RedHat 9:
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/planetccrma/apt
redhat/9/en/i386 planetedge

Installing the Planet CCRMA kernel:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp

Installing the RedHat kernel:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-redhat
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp-redhat

Installing the newer jack:
  apt-get install jack-audio-connection-kit

A dist-ugprade should bring in the new alsa...
Enjoy and let me know how it goes!
-- Fernando