[PlanetCCRMA] network support in the low lat. kernel

Zacharias Enochsson f99ze@efd.lth.se
Sat Jun 7 18:44:01 2003

Hi, Im relativly new to linux (at least to the parts about messing with
kernels and modules etc).  I appreciated the instructions for getting a
low latency kernel with alsa under Redhat, they were easy to follow, and
almost everything worked smoothly.

I had some troubles though:  After using the low lat kernel, it seems I
couldn't get online anymore.  I could browse samba shares on the LAN,
but couldn't find any servers with ping or anyhting ("unknown host
name").  Even when I rebooted with my original kernel  I had the
problem.  I had to reinstall everything...

Second problem (not so important - I imagine its because of my suxy
hardware) is that the sound using programs (audacity in particular) will
occasionally while playing back sound make a loud "scribbly" noise and
hang for a while.  Why is this?  Also when recording in audacity, with
simultaneous playback of previously recorded tracks, everything thats
recorded has a really looooow tone (timing ok thoug).

Like I said, Im not a guru at any of this - I'm just curious what the
reasons for my problems are.  If I can be steered in the right
direction, I'm ready to learn.

My setup:  fujitsu-siemens lifebook s-4510, cpu: pentium II 450 MHz, 128
sdram, soundcard: intel 810 ac97 (I know - its embarrasing), RedHat 9

THanks!!!
+Zach