[PlanetCCRMA] Caught in mid-upgrade- little help?

Sun Jun 8 19:09:01 2003

>     Just one problem:  I'm running an NVidia card, and for a week now
> I've been staying out of 3D...just in time to keep me from enjoying the
> simply fabulous "Enemy Territory" game that just came out, FREE, for
> Linux.  And the stress level I'm seeing here could be much relieved if I
> could just get back into 3D and get shooting away.
>
>     The crux of the problem seems to be that the NVidia stuff is
> compiled with one version of GCC, and the running kernel (above) is done
> with another.

Steve Harris posted to the list a while ago that you can safely ignore
the compiler mismatch (this is all gcc3.2, just different releases - and
this will be fixed in the next "official" release of a kernel coming up
next week). This is what he wrote:

> From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
> Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Can't compile video drivers against new
>          kernel under RH 9
> Date: 26 May 2003 08:38:48 +0100
>
> > I'm using the low latency kernel from CCMRA.
> >
> > In order to install the NVidia drivers for my card, I have to
recompile them against the source for the running kernel. I was able to
do this
> with RH 8 without any trouble, but after having upgraded to RH 9, I
get
> an error message saying that the compiler used to compile the drivers
is
> different to the one used to compile the running kernel.

Just set IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH and it will work fine. If you want suspend
ram to work then you have to hack one of the source files and disable
AGP
mode, otherwise it works fine.

- Steve