[PlanetCCRMA] Apt-Get stalls

Fri Jun 13 12:50:02 2003

> I've recently did a clean install of Redhat 9 after using Mandrake for the
> past few years and I thought I'd give Planet-CCRMA a whirl.  Unfortunately,
> I think I screwed things up with apt-get, as now when I do an "apt-get
> update" it seems to just hang (I waited 10-15mins). There are messages that
> it goes and grabs files from CCRMA, but then dies on processing the list
> (sorry, don't have the exact message here with me at work).
>
> What I did was installed the apt and apt-devel rpm's from the Planet-CCRMA
> site and got the correct sources.list and apt.conf.  The first time I did
> all this things seemed fine.  I decided to add JPackage as a source,
> following the instructions on their site (java development stuff).  After
> that, apt-get always stalled and I haven't gotten past that.

I assume you tried erasing that repository from the sources.list and
doing an apt-get update to see if that fixes the problem?

> I've tried killing the /etc/apt dir and the cache dir for apt and
> reinstalling apt and apt-devel, but no luck.  I also killed all RPM locks
> and issued a "rpm -vv --rebuilddb".  Still hangs.

You mean apt-get hangs, right? Does a "rpm -q -a" get to the end of the
package list or does it also hang?

> I'm looking for a recommended way to clean off apt completely (I'm guessing
> I didn't do so earlier) or maybe any pointers on what's going on.

It should be enough to remove the repository that is causing the problem
from the sources.list file.

At this point you could:
  rpm -e --nodeps apt apt-devel
Reinstall the apt rpms, redo the apt.conf and sources.list configuration
and try an "apt-get update" to see if everything is back to normal.

It would help to have the exact error message, of course.
-- Fernando