[PlanetCCRMA] Some suggestions, please.

David Harrison millionaire@shaw.ca
Sun Jun 15 21:54:01 2003

> > Here's what I have done so far:
> >
> > Installed apt using the instructions on the ccrma website.
> > Used apt-get update, then apt-get install synaptic.
> > From there I installed audacity to use to record.
> >
> > The first time I used audacity, there was no problem.  Since then, I get
> > nothing but a flat line, i.e. nothing is being recorded.  If I plug my
> > headphones into the output of the soundcard, I can hear the incoming
> > signal.  I can even raise and lower the volume with the slider in
> > audacity.  This tells me the sound card is working, right?
>
> Yes and no, yes the card is passing the signal internally to the output
> but that does not mean the drivers are working (most probably yes).
>
> Try using gamix to see if the microphone is enabled...
> (I assume alsa is running, check to see if you have a directory at
> /proc/asound).

Please don't make assumptions :)  I stopped following the directions on the
website after I installed synaptic, so I hadn't configured the alsa sound
drivers yet.  So now I'm off to read the rest of the directions (I know
RTM).

I also tried to install the Planet CCRMA kernel using apt-get install
planetccrma-core, but it couldn't find the package (yes I did an apt-get
update first).  Is this a neccessary step?

Thanks for your time.