[PlanetCCRMA] updated: kernel(s) and alsa (see special note for RedHat 9 users!)

Thu Jun 19 20:08:01 2003

Hi all, I finally transferred the new kernels and alsa packages from the
planetedge to the planetcore repository for all to enjoy (or endure).

Just a brief summary of the changes here, it's too late, I'm tired and
the details are in the ChangeLog of the Planet CCRMA pages:
  http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

* if you are running RedHat 9 you have to update your sources.list file,
  see the details in the ChangeLog (why? the repository now includes
  kernels and alsa kernel modules compiled under RedHat 9, you need to
  point apt to the proper repository).

* there are now two kernels available, one based on the latest release
  of the official RedHat kernel and another based on 2.4.21 (and with
  the usual Planet CCRMA short collection of patches). In a nutshell,
  use the RedHat kernel for better compatibility but not so good latency
  or the Planet CCRMA for the full set of low latency patches but the
  risk of not having the right combination of fixes that RedHat includes
  in their kernel. Sigh, tradeoffs as usual :-)

* alsa has been updated to a newer version (0.9.4-2.cvs).

The kernels and alsa are built under RedHat 7.2, 8.0 and 9, for the
i386, i586, i686 and athlon architectures.

Instructions on how to upgrade are included in the Planet CCRMA
ChangeLog...

Enjoy!
-- Fernando