[PlanetCCRMA] Planet's kernel problems with pcmcia

Mon Jun 23 19:00:03 2003

> I recently upgraded to RedHat 9, and tried to install the
> planetccrma-core packages. Results:
>
> - With kernel 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi the kernel hangs at the "Setting kernel
> parameters" stage

Yuck... I just saw this today (no kidding, talk about good timing). In a
machine that has the exact same configuration as another machine where
it works. Go figure. What solved it for me is turning off acpi (add an
"acpi=off" in the configuration line for booting the kernel in
/boot/grub/grub.conf)

> - With kernel 2.4.20-18.caps the kernel boots almost normally, but it
> doesn't start correctly PCMCIA services (although there is a green OK at
> boot time). I use these for my network card (Netgear FA411).
>
> I can start PCMCIA by manually by installing all the necessary modules
> (ds.o , yenta_socket.o and pcmcia_core.o) before trying to restar
> network then pcmcia and network services again (in /etc/rc.d/init.d).
> This is anoying because I also have to shutdown the X server and restart
> it (strangely whenever the network is started after X, graphical
> applications cannot connect to the display even if I redefine $DISPLAY
> and do 'xhost +')

Yes I'm seeing this here as well. I have no clue on why the modules are
"not found", they are there and can be (as you say) loaded manually.

> If I try to load the pcmcia module directly I get:
>
> [root@localhost root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart
> Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
> Starting PCMCIA services: modulesmodprobe: Can't locate module
> pcmcia_core.o
> modprobe: Can't locate module yenta_socket.o
> modprobe: Can't locate module ds.o
>  cardmgr.

Did you ever try to install the latest redhat kernel to see if the
problem goes away? (I think that would be kernel-2.4.20-18.9). I
compiled wit the same options (except for capabilities and a couple of
other patches).

I'm afraid I won't have time to look at this in detail till I get back
from a trip that starts in a few hours, actually...

-- Fernando