[PlanetCCRMA] What's the latest on RH 9 stability at the Planet?

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Mon Jun 23 20:56:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 18:54, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Sorry - just remembered that I need 1394 support built into the kernel. Is
> > this in the kernel or modular today?
>
> It is modular, but RedHat 9 loads it very early in the boot sequence (I
> guess so that any mass storage stuff is available for mounting).

Thanks Fernando. Thanks for responding. I guess from a couple of other
messages you're on your way out the door. Have a good trip where ever
you're off to.

I'm not sure that this will work for the configuration I'm considering.
I want the root partition to be on my 1394 drive on this machine, and
then I want to spin down the EIDE drive and not use it at all. My
thoughts were that I'd try one of two things:

(or maybe both if neither works...) ;-)

1) With 1394 compiled into the kernel, I would boot from EIDE, but then
point grub at the 1394 drive (/dev/sda1) as the root partition. This is
certainly before modules are loaded as they would be on the 1394 drive,
but would work (conceptually) if 1394 was compiled into the kernel.

2) Make a custom initrd with the 1394 modules included in that. This is
probably the best strategy, but I've been avoiding learning how to do
this.

May be time to start. ;-)

Have a great trip!

Mark