[PlanetCCRMA] alsa anxiety

Brian Fahrlander kilroy@kamakiriad.com
Wed Jun 25 11:51:02 2003

--=-9IBvX14tTWAj9FGcUgUc

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 12:11, Aaron wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I rebuilt the sources for alsa from the planet, and I tried loading the
> alsa drivers.
> More specificly I tried to remove the oss modules but I keep getting a
> message that they are in use.
>=20
> So  how in tarnation am I supposed to remove them???
> I want to build Ardour but can't seem to get alsa working???

   Install the ALSA rpms, yank anything unnecessary in
/etc/modules.conf, the reboot into single-user mode.  I do this when I
want a nice, clean startup when changing my Nvidia drivers, too.

   I edit /etc/inittab, changing the 'sysinit' level from 5 to 3, and
doing an "init 6"  to reboot.  No big deal, and there's no prompts to
miss.

    When it comes up, run alsaconf to configure your modules as needed
(it's VERY good about this, in my experience) and when you're hearing
sounds and it's all nice and happy, put the changes back in /etc/inittab
and do a "init 5" and you'll be back to normal.  All this needs to be
done as root, of course.

    If you have any problems with this, drop me a line.

--=20
Brian Fahrl=C3=A4nder          GNU/Linux Zealot, Conservative, and Technoma=
ICQ  5119262

--=-9IBvX14tTWAj9FGcUgUc

--=-9IBvX14tTWAj9FGcUgUc--