[PlanetCCRMA] Laptop problems with PCMCIA

Bob L. Sturm sturm@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 28 20:38:01 2003

I have reinstalled RedHat 8 (because 9 was too slow for me) and
PlanetCCRMA with the ACPI support on my laptop (Gateway 450XS). I notice
that when booting up there is not the usual two beeps I hear when the
PCMCIA is started, and consequently in a terminal "iwconfig" gives me no
wireless extensions. I have onboard wireless.

In the other kernel (2.3.18-14) I hear two beeps during start-up and then
I have wireless. What I was thinking was that my PCMCIA was not loading,
but when I give a lsmod in the CCRMA kernel I have yenta_socket and
pcmcia_core loaded. So it appears that the PCMCIA is loaded. I have
noticed that in the other kernel there is an orinoco_cs module loaded,
which doesn't appear in the ACPI-enabled kernel.

I can go into the /lib/modules/2.4.21-1.11.acpi/kernal/drivers and execute
an insmod orinoco, insmod orinoco_cs. No errors; but when I do an
"ifconfig" or an "iwconfig" I only get back interfaces for lo and eth0.
What am I missing here. If the modules start then why can't I see eth1 (my
wireless).

Thanks for all of your help on my past questions.

-Bob.

--
        //\		Bob L. Sturm
  ______\/_  ,		http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~b.sturm/