[PlanetCCRMA] RH 7.3 kernel rebuild and Athlon

Luc Tanguay lucus@sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 12 19:58:01 2003

Hi.

I've installed Planet CCRMA on my RedHat 7.3 system (Athlon 1GHz, SB
Audigy).  I've installed the ACPI kernel 2.4.19-2.ll.acpi@i686 and it's
working perfectly.  But boot time is excessively long (I mean, it takes
longer than before the installation of Planet kernel :-).   I think it's
because there is a lot of module.  Is it true?

Anyway, I would like to recompile the kernel to have less modules and a
customized kernel for the Athlon and my setup.  I've tried the
instructions from the mailing list archive but the compilation fails -
the problem is with the kernel include file 'efi.h' not being found.
 I've tried different configuration (make xconfig) to remove the faulty
file from the build but it didn't work.

I also found in the archive the message dated Dec 5, 2002, where
somebody had the same problem with the include file.  He's solution was
to get the include file from another system.  I don't have the
'asm-ia64' files, so I'm stuck.  How can I recompile a kernel for an
Athlon and a RH 7.3 based system with ACPI enabled ?

Regards,
Luc

--
Luc Tanguay