[PlanetCCRMA] Hard drive speeds & hdparm

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Mon Mar 17 11:11:02 2003

Hi,
   On a new machine using the Asus A7V333-X motherboard and RH 8.0, I have a
newer, faster 80GB EIDE drive. As booted, hdparm -tT /dev/hda reports a
speedy 320MB/S for buffered speeds, but only 7.5MB/S unbuffered speeds.
Online people talk about approaching 45-50MB/S with this drive under
Windows. I'd like to do that.

   Unfortunately, the command from the Planet to speed a drive up

/sbin/hdparm -c 3 -d 1 -m 16 -A1 /dev/hda

isn't doing anything at all. Following that, the drive continues at 7.5MB/S.

   During boot there is a message that this MB has an unrecognized chipset,
which is a newer Via chipset that supports a 333MHz front side bus. dmesg
also gives an email address to report it, so I did, but this MB has been
around since last year, so I think this is a RH 8.0 issue, and probably not
a raw Linux issue.

   Anyway, using RH 8.0, does anyone know any tricks to get this drive &
chipset going faster? Any apps other than hdparm to do this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Mark