[PlanetCCRMA] how rpm sucks, let me count the ways

Ryan Gallagher ryanpg@yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 06:46:02 2003

I'm having the same maddening problem.  Except it's even more absurd.

[root@ruined root]# rpm -qa | grep quake
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6

[root@ruined root]# rpm -e quake2-3.20-glibc-6
error: package quake2-3.20-glibc-6 is not installed

[root@ruined root]# rpm -ev quake2
error: "quake2" specifies multiple packages

[root@ruined root]# rpm -e quake2 --allmatches (<- reports no errors)

BUT...

[root@ruined root]# rpm -qa | grep quake
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6
quake2-3.20-glibc-6

Don't laugh that I tried to install quake... I was bored.  And now I
can't use apt-get.  Well, I can say one thing for sure... rpm sucks
arse.  --rebuilddb and --initdb did nothing.  Following instructions
for repairing a badly corrupted database did nothing... moving the
Packages file did nothing...  Next step, reinstall!?!?  I thought this
was linux not mac os9.  ;-)

-r

> Message: 9
> To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:44:42 -0800
> From: franzson@stanford.edu
> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Problem with duplicate packages...
>
> Hi, I think I might have screwed my linux up a bit... There is
> something
> wrong with my Glib... when I run Synaptic, I get the error-message:
>
> There are two or more versions of the package "glib-devel" installed
> in
>  your system, which is a situation APT can't handle cleanly at the
> moment. Please do one of the following: 1) Keep at most one version
> of
> the package in the system; or 2) If you do want to keep multiple
> versions of that package, look up RPM:Allow-Duplicated in the
> documentation.
>
> Error occured while processing glib-devel(UsePackage3)
>
> Problem with MergeList /var/lib/rpm/Packages
>
> End of that... so I did a
>
> rpm -q glib-devel
>
> and got
>
> glib-devel-1.2.0-1-beta
> glib-devel-1.2.10-8
>
> so I tried to uninstall both...
>
> rpm -e glib-devel-1.2.0-1-beta
>
> and got the return
>
> error: package glib-devel-1.2.0-1-beta is not installed
>
> how do I get rid of that from my packagelist, so that synaptic can
> upgrade to a usable Glib-devel?
>
> David B Franzson
> franzson@stanford.edu

=====