[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Thu Mar 20 18:02:01 2003

> I'm trying to rebuild my kernel from the source in the planet ccrma rpm
> (2.4.19-1.ll) under RedHat 8.0 (and therefore gcc 3.2).  I've been using the
> .config from the prebuilt kernel.

Are you rebuilding the binary rpms or just using the source that is
there to build your own? The configurations are stored in the configs
directory...

> The build goes fine, but I get segfaults from applications when I'm running
> the new kernel.
>
> In particular, gnome-panel segfaults when I start X.  Synaptic also
> segfaults.

Look at /var/log/messages and see if there are any indications of kernel
problems. It sounds strange to me. But I have not rebuilt 2.4.19 under
gcc3.2. I am using gcc3.2 to build newer kernels and I have not had
problems so far.

> I haven't had a chance to trace into this much, but I'd thought I'd ask if
> this a known problem with an easy solution... or if it's my problem with no
> solution (as yet...)
>
> System is a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.

Maybe you need to rebuild the X drivers? Is this an NVidia based laptop?
If so you will need to get the (binary) drivers and rebuild them under
the new kernel.

-- Fernando