[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Thu Mar 20 20:46:02 2003

> >> I'm trying to rebuild my kernel from the source in the planet ccrma rpm
> >> (2.4.19-1.ll) under RedHat 8.0 (and therefore gcc 3.2).  I've been using the
> >> .config from the prebuilt kernel.
> >
> > Are you rebuilding the binary rpms or just using the source that is
> > there to build your own? The configurations are stored in the configs
> > directory...
>
> I've installed the source from the ccrma rpm.  Then I've tried to build a
> kernel using:
> - the original .config in usr/src/linux-2.4.19-1.ll/
> - /boot/config-2.4.19-1.ll/

Once you unpack the source rpm (rpm -Uvh xx.src.rpm) you can just
rebuild by "cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS" and "rpm -ba
kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.spec"

So the question is: why do you need to rebuild it?

If you need to change kernel options and want to get an modified rpm
back then you need to (this is from memory):

- rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.src.rpm
- cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
- rpm -bp kernel-2.4.19-1.ll.spec (prepares the source, does not build)
- cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.19/linux-2.4.19/

At this point the configuration files are stored in configs/, so choose
one (i386, i686, etc) and "cp configs/kernel-2.4.19-i586.config
.config". Run make xconfig, change options, save and copy the
configuration back to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES, such as "cp .config
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.4.19-i586.config". After that you
should be able to rebuild the source rpm and get what you want (but it
would also be nice to change the release number of the package).

> >> The build goes fine, but I get segfaults from applications when I'm running
> >> the new kernel.

Well, maybe 2.4.19 does not like gcc3.2, I have not tried that
combination.

-- Fernando