[PlanetCCRMA] Trouble with rebuilt kernel from 2.4.19-1.ll source on RH8.0

Daniel Heckenberg daniel@bogusfront.org
Sun Mar 23 23:25:03 2003

On 21/3/03 3:46 PM, "Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano"
<nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> Well, maybe 2.4.19 does not like gcc3.2, I have not tried that
> combination.

For the record, I wasn't able to identify the cause(s) of the problem.  But
I do now have a working 2.4.19 kernel.

Some more clues did pop up tho:
- When I tested further with the planet CCRMA kernel, I did experience a
gnome-panel segfault...
- I was able to build a 2.4.19-1.ll kernel on gcc3.2 which gnome-panel
doesn't segfault.  Strangely, the configuration was the just the same as
that I'd tried previously: and is the same used to build the binary planet
kernel.

What does this suggest?  I think that there may be factors at work beyond
the kernel itself... but that perhaps have some interaction with the kernel.
This is the only way I can reconcile the outcome I have now with the
circumstances of a few days ago where the prebuilt kernel would never
segfault and my kernel built with the same config would segfault every time
I loaded GNOME.

I'm not experienced enough, nor blessed with enough spare time to really
delve into this any further unfortunately.

Thanks for all of your help,
Daniel