[PlanetCCRMA] Package Conflicts and other stuff

Tue Mar 25 14:45:02 2003

> I was just looking at the thread in the mailing list archives for March,
> "[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get dist-upgrade problem" because I, too, have had
> openSSL problems.

As I explained in another email this morning I think I caused the
problem when I updated the repository with only the i386 rpm of openssl
:-(

> apt-get --reinstall install openssl
>
> with limited results i.e. apt-get dist-upgrade hung, then I went into
> Synaptic and clicked 'Fix Broken', then 'Upgrade', then Synaptic hung.
> :-P

Yuck, when that happens (and it is, I believe, a bug in rpm) you have to
first kill all rpm related processes, usually with a "-9" and then erase
some files with locks on them:
  rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*
(only after killing all instances of rpm, apt or synaptic)

After that you should be able to run rpm again and it should not hang.

>    3:glibc                  warning: /etc/nsswitch.conf created as
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew

You can safely ignore the warning. If you want you could see what are
the differences (if any) between the old coniguration file and the new
one (nsswitch.conf defines which services are used and in which order to
lookup accounts, host names and so on).

> Thank you, Fernando, and long live the Planet! :-)
Thanks!!
-- Fernando